Welcome to My Blurb

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I just finished reading Jeff Yeager's book The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches. It gave me a few new points to ponder that I hadn't really thought much about before, if at all.

Jeff talks about a thing he calls "The Money Steps". To sum up my understanding of this concept, think of yourself on a treadmill and you're just walking for the sake of doing it. We get a job, we earn money, we buy stuff. Repeat. It starts to get a little ridiculous in my opinion and I'm definitely not talking about everybody else out there. I have fallen prey to this ideology many, many times. Reading this book made me realize how much of my life I have given away for the "privilege" of pure consumerism. The funny thing is, after earning and spending and scraping and debting for over 20 adult years, I might have ten possessions that I truly value and the rest of them are mostly in my way. It makes me think more about the concept of a road map in terms of goals and what I would like to accomplish in the future. I think far too few people stop and ask themselves "What do I want?"

For me, I want to be entirely debt free -- house, cars, whatever -- within the next ten years, and if we are able to continue on our current budget and savings goals, that should be completed. Even more basic than that goal, I don't want to have to work to pay bills when I am old. So, for me, the most logical step in that direction is to work toward having NO bills when I am old. Is it possible? That's what I aim to discover. That's my mission; my Quest! Achieve as much "off grid" living as possible -- even here in the Blurbs -- and reap the rewards in my golden years. And, Honey, if you're reading this, I want you there with me too. Bill free and aging gracefully.

Oh, and, by the way, what are those ten valuable possessions, you ask? Well, that's a good question.

1. Besides a few little bumps and bruises, for the most part, my body works, and I am truly grateful for that. I realize this isn't a true "possession" in the sense of stuff, but I think it's very important, so it's my number 1.

2. My eye glasses. Without them, I would have a very tough time getting anything accomplished. These are a must have, and sadly, I must pay whatever they cost which is usually way too much, but I have had the same pair for six years now, and -- they are beginning to get a bit scratched -- but over the course of six years, not a bad investment.

3. My flip flops. It may sound crazy, but I am so happy that I have these little gems. They do almost everything you need shoes to do, and I usually pay less than two dollars a pair for them.

4. My minivan. I paid next to nothing for it. It's old and banged up, but it's a super comfy ride, and I'm thrilled to have it!

5. My library. I know I don't own the library, but I would be hard pressed to have the knowledge I have today -- and the ability to gain infinitely more -- without this local lifeline.

6. My easy chair. I spend way too much time there, but it's on my list.

7. My bed -- let's face it. We all gotta sleep, and I'm grateful I can do so in a comfy bed. Again, super cheap, super old, but super mine!

8. My kitchen. I am SO grateful to have a place to feed my family. Running water is a gift that we all take for granted. All my appliances are new -- bought with cash as the old ones that we bought with this house pooped out one by one. I know I could survive without these conveniences, but I don't have to do that yet, and I'm very happy!

9. My laptop. I won't elaborate. I just love this thing!

10. My dog. I got a little long-haired dachshund five years ago this month. His name is Oscar, and he was soon joined by two other dogs because he has a daddy. I like the other two okay, but my little Oscar is on my list because he really is my best friend.

Happy Homesteading!

No comments:

Post a Comment